Some of your most frequently asked questions
1. Q. Can I get to the start of the Trail by public Transport?
A: At the Inverness end there is a bus service ( D&E Coaches) which operates 3 times per day from Inverness Monday to Friday, 2 times on Saturday, no service on Sunday. It will take you to within 200 yards of the start. There is no public transport from Fort Augustus up to the start at Loch Tarff. As an alternative, a taxi can be hired in Fort Augustus from Westend Garage, Fort Augustsus T: 01320 -366247
2. Q. Where along the trail are there places to stop and get something to eat and drink?
A: Food and drink is available at the Whitebridge Hotel, (01456 486226), The Waterfall Café, Foyers (01456 486 233), Craigdarroch House Hotel, Foyers. (01456 486 400) and the Dores Inn (01463 751203).
3. Q. Are there any books I can buy on South Loch Ness and points of interest along the route?
A.: There are two very informative guides to the South Side of Loch Ness. The first is a booklet by South Loch Ness Heritage Group. It costs £3 and is available from most accommodation providers along the trail route as well as Foyers Cafe and Dores Inn. The second is a book called 'A Country Called Stratherrick' written by Alan B Lawson and costs £7. This is available on Amazon and from the local heritage group (tel. 01456 486457 to order a copy) or buy online from us HERE...
4. Q. What is the mobile phone reception like along the length of the trail?
A: Variable! Don’t rely on your mobile phone to keep in touch
5. Q: Are their sections of the trail that can be walked as part of a day walk?
A: Yes, the best day walk which takes in a bit of the trail from the Inverfarigaig carpark to the Falls of Foyers return. For details and to print the walk see - Inverfarigaig Foyers walk
6. Q: How much of the trail is on road?
A: At present approximately 8 miles follows either minor roads or unclassified roads. The longest stretch of road is 3 miles from near Dores to the turn off on to track again beyond the Macbain Park.
7. Q: I want to cycle the Trail. Where can I hire bikes from?
A: We recommend Ticket to Ride Bicycle Hire at www.tickettoridehighlands.co.uk
e: email@example.com tel: 07902 242301
8. Q : What Ordnance survey maps do I need for the trail?
A: OS Landranger maps 34 and 26 cover the entire trail or you can buy a Harveys XT40 map specifically designed for the South Loch Ness Trail and the Trail of the 7 Lochs produced and distributed nationwide through Harvey outlets or buy online from us HERE...